Tooth decay is often caused by having too much sugary food and drink and not cleaning your teeth and gums. Tooth decay may not cause any symptoms at first so it is very important to have regular check – ups.
Early treatment can help stop it getting worse so see a dentist as soon as possible because it can lead to problems, such as a hole forming in the tooth (dental cavity).
The states of dental decay:
- Stage: Chalky White Spots. When tooth decay is just starting to take hold, it begins as small white spots on the surface of your dental enamel
- Decay of the Dental Enamel
- Decay of the Dentin
- Decay Reaches the Pulp
Treatments for tooth decay
Fillings: Fillings are the main treatment when a cavity has progressed beyond the enamel. (Most often Composite Fillings)
Crowns: A crowns is a custom-fitted covering or “cap” that is placed over the tooth to treat extensive decay. (Porcelain, Zirconia or Metal)
Root canals: When tooth decay reaches the inner material of your tooth (pulp), a root canal may be necessary.
When your dentist has listened to your concerns and examined your mouth, they will be able to make recommendations about what treatments will work best to achieve the results you hope for.
Preventing tooth decay
Tooth decay happens when bacteria create a sticky layer called plaque over your teeth. This damages the surface of your teeth over time.
There are some simple things you can do to keep your and your children’s teeth and gums healthy and help prevent tooth decay.
- Do brush your teeth at least twice a day with fluoride toothpaste – spit after brushing, do not rinse
- clean in between your teeth every day using floss or interdental brushes
- have regular dental check-ups (your dentist will be able to advise you about how often you need to go)
Contact us to discuss your case
If you feel that your smile could be perfected or enhanced, call us or use our contact form to get in touch and arrange an initial appointment.
We offer a free initial consultation, at which your dentist can describe the treatments they recommend to achieve the results you want.